Understanding Medieval History
Europe in the year 1000 was one of the world's more stagnant regions—an economically undeveloped,
intellectually derivative, and geopolitically passive backwater. Three short centuries later, all this had changed dramatically.
Dive into the relatively short period of time that brought huge changes to the world.
Europe in the year 1000 was one of the world's more stagnant regions—an economically undeveloped, intellectually derivative, and geopolitically passive backwater. Three short centuries later, all this had changed dramatically. Dive into the relatively short period of time that brought huge changes to the world.
The Middle Ages are one of the most misunderstood and often overlooked periods in history. Spanning the centuries from the fall of Rome to the dawn of the Renaissance and Enlightenment, it’s a period commonly thought of as “dark”—a time of ignorance and stagnation.
This couldn’t be farther from the truth.
Rather than being a time of darkness, the Middle Ages were an essential period in the grand story of Western history; a pivotal time that saw the beginnings of many of the political, cultural, economic, scientific, and spiritual developments that are now an invaluable part of our own modern world.
Go Beyond the History of Medieval Europe
In many of our Middle Ages courses, you’ll go beyond England and Europe and consider the impact that other cultures and civilizations had in the medieval world.
- Learn how the nomadic peoples of the Eurasian steppes shaped medieval history.
- Study the advancements in science, medicine, and algebra during the Islamic Golden Age.
- Explore the flourishing empires and dynasties of medieval China.
The result is a well-rounded, 36o-degree look at these centuries from all perspectives—not just Western ones.
Cover a Fascinating Range of Perspectives in Medieval History
Learn Middle Ages history with our collection of comprehensive, engaging courses, in which you’ll accompany award-winning professors and medieval historians on thrilling journeys that bring the Middle Ages back into focus.
Our Middle Ages courses cover this fascinating time period from a range of perspectives, locations, and centuries.
- Experience the chaos of the Black Death, the world’s most devastating plague.
- Follow the Vikings as they play a decisive role in the formation of Latin Christendom.
- Investigate the history of the Catholic Church and its medieval popes.
- Visit breathtaking medieval cathedrals in England, France, and beyond.
- Explore the history and legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
- Ponder medieval developments in philosophy, science, literature, and art.
- Discover what it was like to be a medieval pilgrim, serf, or knight.