Welcome to The Great Courses Plus and to thegreatcoursesplus.com website (“Website”). The Teaching Company Sales, LLC d/b/a The Great Courses (“The Great Courses”), its subsidiaries and affiliates value your participation and loyalty. We are committed to the protection of subscriber and customer privacy.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer. Cookies collect information that is transferred from your browser or computer's hard drive to us.
We seek to use the following categories of cookies on the Website:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our Website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
- Third party cookies. Some advertising on the website is displayed on third party websites and put in place by a third party (an advertising agency for example). These third parties use their own cookies to analyse how many people have seen and/or clicked on an advertising banner. The cookies placed by third parties are based on the cookies policies of the companies which place them.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them (first and third party) in the table below:
Cookies used by The Great Courses on The Great Courses Plus Website
First party cookies
|Cookie From||Cookie Name||Purpose|
|Google Analytics||_ga||This helps us count how many people visit our Website by tracking if you’ve visited before|
|Google Analytics||_gat||Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made|
|Google Analytics||__utma||Like _ga, this lets us know if you’ve visited before, so we can count how many of our visitors are new to the Website or to a certain page|
|Google Analytics||__utmt||Used to manage the rate at which page view requests are made|
|Google Analytics||__utmb||This works with _utmc to calculate the average length of time you spend on our Website.|
|Google Analytics||__utmc||This works with _utmb to calculate when you close your browser|
|Google Analytics||__utmz||This tells us how you reached our Website (for example from another website or a search engine)|
|Optimizely A/B testing||optimizelyBuckets||Stores page variations to ensure users get a consistent experience on the Website|
|Optimizely A/B testing||optimizelyEndUserId||Contains the unique identifier for users of our Website. Used by Optimizely to track information on a per user basis|
|Optimizely A/B testing||optimizelyPendingLogEvents||Records user activity|
|Optimizely A/B testing||optimizelySegments||Persists the visitor's Optimizely Classic segments: browser, campaign, mobile, source type, and any custom dimensions that you may have configured|
|Adobe Analytics||s_fid||This cookie is used to identify a unique visitor if the standard s_vi cookie is unavailable due to third-party cookie restrictions|
|Adobe Analytics||s_vi||This cookie is used to identify a Unique Visitor ID/time/date stamp|
|TGCP Code||UserID||Unique User Identifier|
|Sailthru Email||sailthru_hid||Uniquely identifies known users in order to track their onsite activity|
|TGCP Code||campaign_id||Campaign value that drove user to site|
|TGCP Code||plansLength||The use of this cookie is, based on the number of plans pop-up modal style changes|
|viewlift_login_token||This cookie is set by the backend, used for the single sign on. Currently, it is not being used anywhere in TGC|
Third party cookies
|Cookie From||Cookie Name||Purpose|
|These cookies allow our pages to be shared and liked on Facebook. Facebook may use these cookies to track how you use the internet across different websites. You can find out more about how Facebook uses your personal data on their Facebook Data Use Policy pages https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/|
|Google Maps Cookies||
|These cookies are installed by Google whenever you visit a page with an embedded Google Map, and are used by Google to track usage of their services. Please visit www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy for more information|
|MediaMath is a global provider of digital advertising media and data management technology.|
|adnxs.com||anj sess uuid2||Adnxs.com is run by AppNexus, a company that provides data and analytics helping businesses buy and sell online advertising|
|quantserve.com||d mc||The website uses Quantcast, which sets up these Quantserve cookies to provide us with various website usage statistics. Quantcast is a behavioural advertising and audience research company For more information about Quantcast please see below: http://info.evidon.com/companies/quantcast|
|yahoo.com||B||This cookie allows content hosted on flickr.com. Flickr is a service provided by yahoo. The cookie collects anonymous data relating to user’s website visits, including number of visits, average time spent on site and loaded pages. The recorded data are used to classify the users interests and define demographic profiles in order to customize the website according to the visitor|
|Cookies used to collect data used for recommending relevant related content|
Effective Date: May 2017